Customer Engagement & Dynamics CRM Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Has the Merge Contacts dialogue changed in Dynamics CRM

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Oct 05, 2022 08:31 AM
    Hi guys, has merge changed recently, maybe as part of the 2022 Wave 2 release?

It used to allow me to choose which fields from each record to keep, like this:
    But today it seems to do that choosing "automatically" for me, with a new dialogue, like this:
    And this isn't working for us, I need to be able to choose which fields to keep. I've tried different combinations of the three tick boxes but it doesn't seem to offer the fields like it used to.

Call me old fashioned but can I go back to the old merge? Has anyone else noticed this?

Richard.

------------------------------
    Richard Allen
    Business Systems Manager
    The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health
    London

• 2.  RE: Has the Merge Contacts dialogue changed in Dynamics CRM

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Oct 06, 2022 03:53 AM
    Hi Richard

I've just checked mine and although the dialogue has changed, I am still presented with fields.

In terms of going back to the old merge, you have to turn off the new 'Advanced Find' or whatever they have called it in this release - the old dialogue seems tied to that.

Hope that helps

Regards
    Matt

Matthew Vizor
    Shelter
    London

• 3.  RE: Has the Merge Contacts dialogue changed in Dynamics CRM
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 07, 2022 05:45 AM
    I've recently had issues with this merge form displaying my custom fields and turns out that the Contact main form needs to have the all the fields you potentially want in the merge pop-up on and to have a status of On, and to be the first in the list of forms available on the Contact table!

Robin Marshall
    Lead Systems Developer
    Town & Country Housing
    Tunbridge Wells

• 4.  RE: Has the Merge Contacts dialogue changed in Dynamics CRM

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Oct 07, 2022 07:36 AM
    @Robin Marshall - you're a star! That's the answer!

We have a load of inactive legacy forms and I just needed to move the "real" form up to the top of the Form Order list

Thanks so much, I just knew it'd be quicker asking here than raising a ticket with Microsoft. I owe you a beer!

Thanks also for responding @Matthew Vizor - I'll buy you a beer at the same time :)

Richard Allen
    Business Systems Manager
    London

• 5.  RE: Has the Merge Contacts dialogue changed in Dynamics CRM

Posted Oct 07, 2022 08:34 AM
    no problem at all Richard, glad it sorted things for you. One other point you may not know is that the merge pop-up only allows you to select which is the promary record if you go from the Contact list and select the two you want to merge then select the 'Merge' button in the top ribbon. If you have a duplicate check and on save of a new contact it triggers to say there is a duplicate, and you choose to merge then, you CANNOT change which is the primary record, Dynamics assumes the record you started from (the one you were editing that prompted the duplicate check) is the one to keep, which not always be the case.

Robin Marshall
    Lead Systems Developer
    Town & Country Housing
    Tunbridge Wells

• 6.  RE: Has the Merge Contacts dialogue changed in Dynamics CRM

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Oct 07, 2022 10:18 AM
    That's another good tip to be aware of Robin, thanks. I guess it makes a kind of sense ... normally.

It's not been an issue for us though, as luckily most of my users are very adept at skipping past the duplicate-check pop-up and saving anyway without a second thought. To be fair to them it is quite a faff trying to figure out if there really is a duplicate, and they are usually very busy.

One day we'll have the capacity to investigate the various third part duplicate checking options available. Have you looked into them, or are you too just using the out-of-the-box features?

Richard Allen
    Head of IT
    London

If you've found this thread useful, dive deeper into User Group community content by role