Background on upgrade:
In August we created a full copy of our 8.2 prod Dynamics 365 online instance. In September we were able upgrade the copied instance from 8.2 to 9.0 (I will refer to it as 9.1 going forward). We set the date of our Production update to November 10th. The majority of our internal teams that use dynamics are Global customer service and Global sales which are both broken up into smaller groups. We currently have ~ 500 users.
Necessary work for our upgrade:
We realized the old mobile app would not work on the 9.1 instance without us upgrading to the Unified Interface. We took all of our mobile users and moved them over to the new Unified Interface. Here are some of the tasks I remember.
In the legacy interface there was surprisingly little issues that we needed to make updates. Our plan is to transition over to the new Unified Interface for each of our teams in focused blocks of time. This includes a lot of our smaller teams that use dynamics.
We were scheduled for release on Friday night at 8pm CST (6pm PST). We suspended our ETLs to our system and the upgrade concluded around 4am. We don't have many users over the weekend so I was able to import and publish all of the changes around 8am. I did some initial testing. I then went to my daughter's swim meet and returned around 5pm. I did some more detailed testing on new functionality.
The upgrade went pretty smoothly. Most of our remaining issues are in the Unified Interface.
Issues on launch:
Microsoft/Vendor Issues on upgrade
Outstanding Unified Interface issues:
Other Notes:Azure Logic Apps, Power BI Reports, and Azure Functions were (of course) working well once we got our data export service back up and running.
Let me know if you have any questions on this and if this was helpful!I'm also looking to share stories with other users who may be similar to us here at Trek. Please reach out if you have questions!Thanks,
If you've found this thread useful, dive deeper into User Group community content by role