Customer Engagement & Dynamics CRM Forum

 View Only
  • 1.  Reassigning Record Owner in D365

    Posted Mar 17, 2022 09:12 AM
    We are having huge challenges with reassigning the owner of records when someone leaves.  In the grand scheme of things, we don't have that many records, our largest by owner would be under 200,000.
    The reassignment process fails for most users. Only the users with tiny numbers of records are successful in one session.  For all others we have to run the process multiple or many times to complete it.
    Adding to this is that sometimes when it appears to be successful - i.e. there is no error message (since there's no success or completed message), it's not complete.   
    I cannot believe that this is normal, as there are customers with millions of records.  We are looking at not assigning records to individual users, but even when that is implemented, we will have the existing records that will need to be reassigned one final time.  
    Does anyone have any recommendations as to how we could make reassignment more efficient?  Right now it's a huge sinkhole time-wise.
    Thanks!


    ------------------------------
    Cynthia Lagueux
    Special Olympics Canada
    ON
    ------------------------------


  • 2.  RE: Reassigning Record Owner in D365

    Posted Mar 22, 2022 03:39 PM
    So I guess either no one is having this problem, or no one has any suggestions.  I'm now tracking how many records are re-assigned each time I run reassignment from the user account (currently using the legacy version in Dynamics itself, not the Power Platform Admin version; doesn't seem to matter).
    We have 4 different entities whose records are being reassigned.
    Contacts
    V Profiles
    P Profiles
    Enrollments
    The total for this user is 251400+ records between the 4 entities (plus because the Enrollments only exports 100k records so I don't know the real number).
    I just ran it twice, taking about 20 minutes each time before it failed.  The first time it reassigned 1599 contact records, 3 others.  The second time 3694 contact records, no others.  At this rate I'll be at this for weeks still, and this has already been attempted numerous times.  
    Please, has anyone else ever experienced this, and if so, any suggestions you have are gratefully received.  Even if you don't have this problem, I'd like to hear about that too
    We are running D365 Sales Enterprise Edition, 2021 release wave 2 enabled (though this has been occurring for a very long time now, so I'm not sure the version matters)
    I will submit a ticket to Microsoft, just was hoping there might be an easier way.

    ------------------------------
    Cynthia Lagueux
    Special Olympics Canada
    ON
    ------------------------------



  • 3.  RE: Reassigning Record Owner in D365

    Posted Mar 25, 2022 05:40 AM
    Hi Cynthia,
    I assume you are using the "reassign records" button on a user record in Dynamics?
    It was a long time ago, but we did used to see something similar in our environment. In our case it was Goals causing the issue, and was due to records where a required field was not completed. When the system tried to change the owner the process failed because the blank required field prevented the record being saved. If your process does eventually succeed then this may not be the same issue, but I thought I'd mention it.

    A ticket with Microsoft does seem like your best option, but in the meantime in terms of workarounds, since you have a small number of entities and records, you could try using the export & reimport mechanism for changing the ownership?

    Jo

    ------------------------------
    Jo Anslow
    Dynamics 365 Technical Consultant
    Granta Design
    Cambridge
    ------------------------------



  • 4.  RE: Reassigning Record Owner in D365

    Posted Mar 25, 2022 08:20 AM
    Good morning Jo -
    That's a great suggestion for a possible cause. It's likely that this is the case as the data that was imported originally wouldn't have had values in some of the fields that are now required in Dynamics.  Unfortunately I can't do anything about it.  I haven't had a response from Microsoft to my ticket yet.  I've started tracking how many records are reassigned with each attempt, and once it was over 20k, another time, only 5.  Fortunately I haven't had a complete failure.
    I will explore the export and import suggestion (in our Sandbox environment first) as well.
    Thanks,
    Cynthia

    ------------------------------
    Cynthia Lagueux
    Special Olympics Canada
    ON
    ------------------------------



If you've found this thread useful, dive deeper into User Group community content by role